Pakistani, Indian military officials establish hotline contact: Pakistani army

Source
Xinhua
Editor
Zhang Tao
Time
2017-06-05

ISLAMABAD, June 5 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani and Indian military officials on Monday established "Special Hotline Contact" against the backdrop of recent cross-border "cease-fire violations," the Pakistani military said.

An army spokesman said Pakistani Director General Military Operations (DGMO) Maj Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza raised issues of "unprovoked firing by Indian troops along the Line of Control in Kashmir region and the Working Boundary."

Pakistan and India had declared cease-fire in 2003 along the LoC, but both sides routinely accused each other of cease-fire violations.

The army spokesman said in a statement that Pakistan Army is committed to maintaining peace and tranquility along LoC and the Working Boundary.

Tension has been escalated along the LoC since militants attacked an army center in the Indian-controlled Kashmir in September last year, killing 19 soldiers.

The Indian military blamed the Pakistan-based "Jaish-e-Mohammad" group and also pointed fingers at Pakistan. Islamabad rejected the charges and demanded independent investigation.

 

Related News

Continue...