Nigerian military chief charges troops to be vigilant

Source
Xinhuanet
Editor
Li Jiayao
Time
2017-08-03

LAGOS, Aug. 2 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has charged troops in the restive northeast region to always be alert as there was no time to rest yet.

Buratai, who gave the charge while addressing troops of the 3 Division Tactical Command in Damaturu, capital of Yobe State on Wednesday, said there are more tasks to be done in the effort to clear the remnants of Boko Haram terrorists.

He advised the troops to work closely with other security agencies to ensure that the remnants of Boko Haram were flushed out of the region.

The military chief told his audience that the territories had become desperate to remain relevant, hence they had resorted to attacking isolated locations and kidnapping for ransom.

Buratai said although the terrorists had been flushed out of the state, some remnants were still attempting to use the state as transit point, adding that the cooperation of everyone was required to check their activities.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Army has called on citizens to volunteer useful information to assist the military succeed in the counter-insurgency campaign.

In a statement made available to Xinhua in Lagos, Defense spokesperson Maj. Gen. John Eneche called on Nigerians to provide veritable information to fast track the counter-insurgency operation in the North-East.

Eneche stressed that such information is imperative to identify insurgents sleeper cell' locations, concentration camps and out-post locations.

The army also called on members of the public to expose insurgents' collaborators and informants as well as suspicious habitation in urban and rural areas.

 

Related News

Continue...