LAGOS, March 6 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai Tuesday debunked the claims that the Boko Haram insurgents had regrouped and is controlling a large territory in the restive northeast zone.
Addressing reporters in Port Harcourt, Buratai said there was nothing like resurgence, adding that one or two incidents could not be interpreted as resurgence.
"Every facet of our society needs to be part of this fight against terrorism. It is a national disaster and calamity which we must all join hands to defeat," Buratai said.
The army chief also restated the troop's commitment to rescuing the 110 Dapchi schoolgirls abducted by insurgents last month.
"Definitely, everybody is concerned and we are doing our best in finding the missing schoolgirls," he said.
On Feb. 19, 110 students of Government Girls' Science and Technical College in Dapchi were abducted by the suspected insurgents.
The incident came four years after the same terror group invaded a female school in Chibok and took more than 200 girls into captivity.
Boko Haram has been trying since 2009 to establish an Islamic state in northeastern Nigeria, having killed some 20,000 people and forcing displacement of millions of others.